Please come out and help us remove woody invasive species from Mud Lake Nature Reserve!
We will be clearing invasive species like Autumn Olive, Buckthorn, Honeysuckle, and Multiflora Rose. This event will include mechanical and chemical removal. We will be pulling out young seedlings by hand and larger seedlings with weed wrenches. We will also be cutting plants at the base with loppers, while a few designated people apply herbicide to the cut stems.
Training, safety equipment, and tools will be provided.
This event will take place off trail including on uneven terrain. Some of the plants have thorns. Please wear appropriate footwear such as waterproof hiking boots or rubber boots, as well as long sleeves and pants.
What to bring:
- If you can, please bring your own rubberized work gloves, although TTLT will provide these items if needed. Leather or cotton gloves are not suitable.
- Dress for the weather and plants with thorns. Please wear appropriate footwear, long sleeves, and pants.
- Bring your lunch and plenty of water.
Other things to note:
- Due to the use of herbicides and sharp tools this event is not suitable for children.
- There are no washrooms at Mud Lake Nature Reserve so please plan accordingly.
- This event is subject to COVID-19 regulations at the time. Masks are only required where physical distancing cannot be maintained. Please do not attend if you are feeling unwell.
Please note: this event is weather dependent. In the case of any changes or cancellation, we will send out an email to everyone who is registered the day before the event.
Photo: European Honeysuckle (Lonicera spp) in spring, by Payton Landsborough
363284 McBeth Rd
Salford, ON N0J 1W0
Google map and directions