Join us at Wardsville Woods on October 29th to collect seeds in the meadow. Please RSVP below to secure your spot!
We'll be collecting seeds from a range of native wildflowers and grasses, which will be used in restoration projects, our community wildflower gardens, and to make seed packet giveaways for community members. We'll provide training in seed head ID during the event, so no prior knowledge or experience is needed (although experts are welcome too!). You're also welcome to take seeds home with you to use in your own garden or restoration project.
What you need to know about this event
- Due to COVID-19, we will be practicing physical distancing at this event, meaning you should stay at least 2m away from anyway who isn't in your household. Since the event is outdoors, masks are not required, but feel free to wear one if you prefer.
- There are no washroom facilities at Wardsville Woods, so please plan accordingly. The West Lorne On Route on Highway 401 is probably the closest available washroom.
- This event will take place primarily off-trail in meadow habitat. Although it is later in the year, there is still a chance you could encounter ticks. Be sure to check for ticks before leaving the site and once you get home. More info on ticks is available here.
- The meadow is also full of seeds and they will stick to your clothing. Smooth materials such as rubber boots and rain jacket/pants will be much easier to keep seed free. Otherwise, be sure to wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.
What to bring
- Please bring your own work gloves if you can, although TTLT will provide them if needed. TTLT will provide all other equipment needed.
- Wear appropriate footwear such as hiking shoes/boots, rubber boots, or other sturdy, ideally waterproof shoes. You might encounter uneven and wet terrain.
- Bring water, snacks, sunscreen, rain gear, warm clothing, bugspray, and anything else you need to be comfortable outside.
If you have any questions, requests, or special needs, please feel free to reach out to us at the contact info below.
Photo: collecting seeds at Hawk Cliff Woods, by Colin Johnson
1632 Longwoods Rd
Wardsville Woods, ON N0L 2N0
Google map and directions