We're piloting a native plant seed production project at Blain Farm and we need your help to plant the seeds! Blain Farm is one of two farms that TTLT protects. We've taken a small area out of regular production in order to grow native perennial wildflowers and grasses. Each year we plan to harvest their seeds for use in restoration projects around the region, and we're also investigating whether we can sell some of the seed as a source of revenue to support our conservation work. The native plants will also create additional habitat for pollinators - it's a win-win.
Last year we installed most of the rows, but there are still some left to seed/plant. We're looking for help to measure out and mark the seed rows as well as sprinkle seeds or plant small plants in the rows. Come out and be part of this exciting project! This is also a rare opportunity to visit Blain Farm, see some of the restoration work, and enjoy scenic views of the Thames River. Please RSVP at the bottom of this page to reserve your spot!
Photo: Planting at Blain Farm by Colin Johnson
What you need to know about this event
- Due to COVID-19, we will be practicing physical distancing at this event, meaning you should stay at least 2m away from anyway who isn't in your household. Since the event is outdoors, masks are not required, but we encourage you to wear one anyway.
- There are no washroom facilities at Blain Farm, so please plan accordingly. The West Lorne On Route on Highway 401 is probably the closest available washroom.
- Seeding requires some kneeling or stooping, and marking the rows will require some level of physical strength to use a hoe or similar gardening tool.
- Some walking over muddy ground will be required - it's about a 1km walk each way to the planting area.
- There is a chance you could encounter ticks at Blain Farm. Be sure to check for ticks before leaving the site and once you get home. More info on ticks is available here.
Please note: this event is subject to change or cancellation depending on COVID-19 restrictions. As well, this event is weather dependent. In the case of any changes or cancellation, we will send out an email to everyone who is registered the day before the event.
22808 Beattie Line
West Elgin, ON N0L 2N0
Google map and directions