Garlic Mustard is a non-native, invasive plant. Originally introduced from Europe, it has spread across large parts of North America, to the detriment of natural areas and their biodiversity. Garlic Mustard is very aggressive, quickly crowding out native plants and even emitting a chemical into the soil that prevents many native plants from growing. We need your help to remove it!
Join us at Five Points Forest on May 29th to help clear the Garlic Mustard from the forest and allow native plants some room to grow. Five Points Forest is located near Ingersoll at 4975 Robinson Rd, Putnam, ON. There will be roadside parking - enjoy a lovely spring hike while you're here.
Afterwards, enjoy a burger fresh from the barbecue as our way of saying thanks! Vegetarian options will also be available.
Things to note:
- There are no washroom facilities at Five Points Forest, so please plan accordingly.
- This event involves hand pulling plants, which requires stooping or kneeling.
- We will be walking through areas where you may encounter ticks. Be sure to check for ticks before leaving the site and once you get home. More info on ticks is available here.
What to bring:
- TTLT will provide work gloves and garbage bags, but feel free to bring your own if you prefer.
- This is an outdoor event so please bring whatever you need to be comfortable, such as sunscreen, bug spray, rain gear, and good shoes. As well, bring along snacks and plenty of water.
Removing Garlic Mustard will be off the trails. It can be muddy, buggy, thorny and poison ivy can be present where we are going. Please dress appropriately for the forest. Rubber boots are encouraged. Children are welcome to the event but under the guardian's supervision. Please consider if the child will be able to handle uncomfortable situations walking through a forest. Although the work is hard the burgers will taste that much better afterwards!
Please note: This event is weather dependent. In the case of any changes or cancellation, we will send out an email to everyone who is registered the day before the event.
4975 Robinson Rd
Putnam, ON N0L 2B0
Google map and directions