Join us at Meadowlily Nature Preserve on November 19th for a Buckthorn Bust! Please RSVP below to secure your spot.
What is a Buckthorn Bust you ask?
Buckthorn is a non-native invasive species that forms extensive thickets out-competing native plants and altering soil chemistry. We need to bust them out of Meadowlily Nature Preserve! How will you know which one of the plants is a buckthorn? By November our native trees and shrubs have dropped their leaves or the leaves have turned yellow/orange/red. Buckthorn keeps glossy dark green leaves well into November. TTLT volunteers will be more than happy to help you with identification so feel free to ask questions.
The event will include pulling out young seedlings by hand and larger seedlings with weed wrenches. Help us create space for native species to flourish!
What you need to know about this event
- This event is subject to COVID-19 regulations at the time. Masks are only required where physical distancing cannot be maintained. Please do not attend if you are feeling unwell.
- There are no washroom facilities at Meadowlily Nature Preserve, so please plan accordingly.
- Hand pulling Buckthorn requires you to bend or stoop and some level of physical strength to pull the plants out of the ground.
- This event may take you off-trail into meadow habitat. Although it is later in the year, there is still a chance you could encounter ticks. Be sure to check for ticks before leaving the site and once you get home. More info on ticks is available here.
- Fall is also seed season and seeds will stick to your clothing. Smooth materials such as rubber boots and rain jacket/pants will be much easier to keep seed free. Otherwise, be sure to wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.
What to bring
- Please bring your own work gloves if you can, although TTLT will provide them if needed. TTLT will provide all other equipment.
- Wear appropriate footwear such as hiking shoes/boots, rubber boots, or other sturdy, ideally waterproof shoes. You might encounter uneven and wet terrain.
- Bring water, snacks, sunscreen, rain gear, warm clothing, bugspray, and anything else you need to be comfortable outside.
If you have any questions, requests, or special needs, please feel free to reach out to us at the contact info below.
Photos by Reuven Martin (via iNaturalist)
17 Meadowlily Rd S
London, ON N6M 1C3
Google map and directions