Do you love gardening? Then consider helping us out at the Auzins Community Wildflower Garden!
The Auzins Community Wildflower Garden at Hawk Cliff Woods is planted with native perennial plants that are beautiful and hardy choices for landscaping. The garden serves as a demonstration site for native plant gardening as well as a source of seeds for interested community members who want to grow native plants for their own gardens.
Why native plants?
Native plants provide food and habitat for birds, insects, and other creatures while requiring less care in terms of watering, pesticides, and fertilizers, than exotic landscaping plants. It's a win-win for nature and gardeners alike.
How can you help?
We are looking for help with garden maintenance including weeding, cleaning up last year's plants, mulching, and clearing the trail. Feel free to drop in anytime between 1pm and 4pm, or stay the whole time.
What to bring
- This is an outdoor event so please bring whatever you need to be comfortable, such as sunscreen, bug spray, and good shoes. As well, be sure to bring your snacks and water.
- We can provide gardening gloves, knee pads, and tools, but we encourage you to bring your own if you prefer.
- There are lots of flowers, birds, and wildlife to see, so bring your binoculars, camera, and field guides.
Things to note
- This event is subject to COVID-19 regulations at the time. Masks are only required where physical distancing cannot be maintained. Please do not attend if you are feeling unwell.
- There are no washroom facilities at Hawk Cliff Woods, so please plan accordingly.
- We may encounter ticks at this event. Be sure to check for ticks before leaving the site and once you get home. More info on ticks is available here.
Please note: this event is weather dependent. In the case of any changes or cancellation, we will send out an email to everyone who is registered the day before the event.
Butterfly photos (top) by Rebecca Launchbury. Butterflyweed photo (left) by Anita Caveney
Hawk Cliff Road
Union, ON N0L 2L0
Google map and directions