Do you love gardening? Then consider helping us out at the Auzins Community Wildflower Garden this spring.
The Auzins Community Wildflower Garden at Hawk Cliff Woods is planted with native perennial plants that are beautiful and hardy choices for landscaping. The garden serves as a demonstration site for native plant gardening as well as a source of seeds for interested community members who want to grow native plants for their own gardens.
Why native plants?
Native plants provide food and habitat for birds, insects, and other creatures while requiring less care in terms of watering, pesticides, and fertilizers, than exotic landscaping plants. Its a win-win for nature and gardeners alike.
How can you help?
We are looking for help with garden maintenance including weeding, cleaning up last year's plants, mulching, and clearing the trail. Feel free to drop in anytime between 9am and 12pm, or stay the whole time.
What to bring
- This is an outdoor event so please bring whatever you need to be comfortable, such as sunscreen, bug spray, and good shoes. As well, be sure to bring your lunch/snacks, and water.
- We can provide gardening gloves, knee pads, and tools, but we encourage you to bring your own if you can to reduce sharing of equipment.
- There are lots of flowers, birds, and wildlife to see, so bring your binoculars, camera, and field guides.
Things to note
- Due to COVID-19, we will be practising physical distancing at this event, meaning you should stay at least 2m away from anyway who doesn't live in your household.
- There are no washroom facilities at Hawk Cliff Woods, so please plan accordingly.
- We may encounter ticks at this event. Be sure to check for ticks before leaving the site and once you get home. More info on ticks is available here.
Please note: this event is weather dependent. In the case of any changes or cancellation, we will send out an email to everyone who is registered the day before the event.
Butterfly photos (top) by Rebecca Launchbury. Butterflyweed photo (left) by Anita Caveney
4437 Hawk Cliff Rd
Union , ON N0L 2L0
Google map and directions